Tesco Bromley-by-Bow scheme gets go-ahead
By Shafik Meghji Thursday, 27 May 2010
A major Tesco-led mixed-use scheme that aims to rejuvenate one of the most deprived areas of east London has been given the go-ahead by the London Thames Gateway Development Corporation (LTGDC).
The LTGDC has granted detailed planning permission for Tesco’s plans to build a new supermarket, library, pedestrian subway and district centre with office and retail space in Bromley-by-Bow.
It also gave the company detailed planning permission for plans to remediate land for a new school and public space, which will then be handed over to the London Borough of Tower Hamlets to begin building.
Outline planning permission was granted for the rest of the scheme, which includes the creation of 454 new homes and a 104-bed hotel.
Steve Oakes, LTGDC’s development director, said: "Securing this major investment will [act] as a catalyst for the sustained renewal of the area."
The first part of the scheme, which had earlier this year been criticised by design watchdog the Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment, is due to be completed by 2012.
Latest Stories from Regeneration and Renewal
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Planner DLP Planning Ltd Salary Negotiable, Bedford and Sheffield
- Associate Planner DLP Planning Ltd Salary Negotiable, South East Region
- Development Control Planner Tyler Parkes Salary by negotiation, Birmingham/ Solihull
- Senior Strategic Planner Tyler Parkes Competitive salary commensurate with experience , Birmingham/ Solihull
- Planner/Senior Planner, Retail Assessment, London based Turley Associates Competitive package, London
- Economic Planning Consultant Turley Associates Competitive package, Manchester
- Planner - Senior / Principal Brooke Smith Planning Negotiable and dependent upon experience, Birmingham
- Interim Development Service Manager Randstad Negotiable, South West England
- Planning Enforcement officer Randstad £17 - £21 per hour, London
- Principal Planning Officer London Borough of Hillingdon £40,188 - £43,803, Uxbridge